Inaugural PROACTIVE champion, Vanessa Vaglio, was awarded the championship due to her dedication and progression between June 2022 and June 2023. Vanessa completed a majority of our most difficult hikes, competed in the Breakneck Marathon 2023, and rigorously prepared and trained in the build-up to the aforementioned. Of all participants, she most embodied the spirit of PROACTIVE during the 2022-2023 season.
To those in our NY/NJ/PA/CT hiking and outdoor community, those who have the pleasure of calling this region of ours home, those who we run into at Wyanokie High Point or Breakneck Ridge or up on Cascade, those with the desire to spend their precious time on a trail - either taking it on or taking it in, this is a challenge for you.
The 2023-2024 PROACTIVE champion will be decided in a year-long, points-based competition built around a series of challenges, both group and solo, that will require and test strategic planning, prioritization, and dedication. It's designed for any hiker - novice to veteran - as anybody could potentially win by piecing together the best overall year.
This is the inaugural PROACTIVE Challenge and the way it will play out is entirely open-ended. People will all tackle this competition in their own way - the winner may be a new hiker who wanted new places to go and decided to check off our list or the winner could be an accomplished ultrarunner who eats these challenges up and spits them all out. It's a casual competition that will slowly truck along in the background over 12 months as participants still tend to their own busy lives and needs. It keeps the whole thing interesting...
The goals of the PROACTIVE Challenge are...
To promote a proactive lifestyle; to inspire and motivate people not to take time for granted, to satisfy their appetite for adventure, to improve their overall level of wellness, to expand their social circle, to push their own limits, and to thrive now.
To showcase the beauty and diversity of our region.
To help novice hikers discover new places to hike and encourage them to continue advancing.
To provide advanced hikers with supplemental prep or training for larger events or general exercise.
To bring our hiking/outdoor community together and build new social connections and networks.
To highlight and support worthwhile causes of interest to our community at large and to our participants.
To have a fun time doing all of this...
Each event can only be completed once within the designated time period. Multiple completions for the same challenge will not earn additional points.
* Will be held as social event. Attendees earn 2+ Points.
Each challenge must be satisfied by an individual hike.
By May 31, 2024
By December 31, 2023
Complete the Devil's Path in a Day - 40 Points
Hike 3+ Miles in NJ - 10 Points
Complete Breakneck 7.5 - 10/15/20/30 Points
Hike 7+ Miles in Harriman - 15 Points
Hike 4+ Miles - 10 Points
Bonus - Hike 1.5+ Miles to a Sunrise - 10 Points
Complete Schunemunk Tour - 30 Points & Patch *
Hike 1500' of Elevation - 15 Points
Bonus - Attend PROACTIVE Barbeque - 10 Points *
Hike 10+ Miles in the Catskills - Hard - 20 Points
Hike 7+ Miles - 15 Points
Hike 2500' of Elevation - 20 Points
Hike 3+ Miles to any view of the Hudson River - 10 Points
Bonus - Find early fall foliage - 10 Points
Sun Pop - Easy to Very Hard - 10/15/20/30 Points *
Hike 7+ Miles in Hudson Highlands State Park - 15 Points
Hike 5+ Miles in New York - Easy - 10 Points
Bonus - Attend a PROACTIVE Creepy Hike - +10 Points *
Complete Winaki Derby or NGT - 30/35 Points & Patch *
Hike 7+ Miles in or north of the Catskills - 15 Points *
Hike 5+ Miles - 10 Points
Hike 15+ Miles - 20 Points *
Hike 10+ Miles - 15 Points
Hike 5+ Miles - 10 Points
Bonus - Attend The Proactive Dinner - 10 Points
Complete Beacon Bully - 30 Points *
Hike 2500' of Elevation - 15 Points
Hike 7+ Miles - 10 Points
Bonus - Hike 1.5+ Miles Hike In Snow - 10 Points
Hike 7+ Miles with Any view of the Hudson River - 15 Points *
Hike 5+ Miles to Ruins of any Structure - 10 Points *
Hike 10+ Miles and Double Summit - 20 Points
Bonus - Hike with Another Person - 10 Points
Hike 22.5+ Miles - 35 Points *
Hike 7+ Miles in NJ - 10 Points *
Hike 10+ Miles in Harriman - 15 Points
Bonus - Hike 3+ Miles Anywhere AND Record a Video - 10 Points
Hike Any PROACTIVE Patch Route (Except GOTH) - 35 Points *
Hike 10+ Miles - 10 Points *
Hike 3000' of Elevation - 15 Points
Bonus - Hike 2+ Miles - 10 Points
Complete GOTH - 30 Points *
RUN 5 Miles - 10 Points
Hike in NY (5+ Miles) & NJ (3+ Miles) in One Day - 15 Points *
Bonus - Hike 1.5+ Miles to a Sunset - +10 Points
ACHIEVE ELITE STATUS = 20 POINTS
COLLECT ALL 4 STRENUOUS PATCHES = 20 POINTS
BONUS SOCIAL EVENT POINTS = 40 POINTS
COMPLETE ALL CHALLENGES IN ANY MONTH = 10 POINTS
(ONE-TIME REWARD - ANY MONTH SEPTEMBER-MAY - MUST COMPLETE ANY BONUS CHALLENGES)
RULES & REGULATIONS
1. Participants (50) must complete at least one challenge per month to remain in the competition.
2. To be eligible for bonus points, a participant must complete both the bonus activity and at least one other challenge listed for the corresponding month.
3. To earn points for self-tracked challenges, participants must (a) complete the challenge within its designated time limit, (b) track the challenge on Alltrails, Strava, or a comparable tracking app,
(c) take a few pictures/selfies or videos on the hike, and (d) send the track and the pictures CONTACT@proactiveahw.com. The submitted track must show participants' name, map of track, and elapsed time.
4. Registration for group events will be scheduled in advance or could be 'pop-up' events within 2-3 weeks prior to any challenge and will be announced on @proactiveahw social media (Instagram, Facebook, TikTok) and on our website.
5. Participants who attend group events will receive 2 additional points. If a participant does not attend the group event, they can complete the same route at any time during that same month.
6. The leaderboard will be updated bi-weekly and made available on the website.
7. The participant with the most points at the end of the year will be the 2023-2024 Proactive-AHW Champion and will receive a cash prize ($1000.00). A 2nd and 3rd place medal and smaller cash prize will be awarded to the 2 subsequent participants based on points.
8. If there is a tie at the end of the season, the tie will be broken through attrition based off of statistics collected from each challenge throughout the year. If a winner is still not apparent based off of the existing statistics, participants involved in the tie will be asked to submit 10 additional personal solo accomplishments completed between June 2023-May 2024 for consideration. If a winner is still not apparent based on the existing data, a vote will be held to determine the winner of which the constituency would be pulled from participants, partners, and followers. Belts, medals, and cash prizes will be awarded in August at the 2024 PROACTIVE BBQ.
9. This is meant to be primarily for fun and the competition involved should be primarily the participant competing with themself.